(Note: Cabbage Egg Podimas Recipe is a variation of the original Egg Podimas Recipe)
Cabbage Egg Podimas or Muttaikose Muttai Poriyal is a simple dish that tastes very similar to the regular Egg Podimas recipe.
What is Cabbage Egg Podimas?
Cabbage Egg Podimas is simply scrambled eggs cooked along with chopped cabbage.
It is another variation of the regular Egg Podimas/ Egg Bhurji recipe.
This cabbage egg podimas/ muttaikose poriyal is prepared using finely chopped or shredded cabbage, chopped onions, eggs and spices.
You may increase or decrease the quantity of chopped onions as per your taste because cabbage and onions almost give the dish that crunchy texture.
For this recipe, you may choose to chop the cabbage finely or just shred them long.
Video Recipe: Muttai Podimas / Muttai Poriyal Varieties
There are other variations of the Egg Podimas like:
- Tomato Egg Podimas
- Boiled Egg Fry Podimas
- Capsicum Egg Podimas
- Carrot Egg Podimas
- Beans Egg Podimas, etc
Click on the 7 Quick Egg Podimas Recipes to learn about the different varieties of Egg Podimas.
Meal Combinations for Podimas
- Rice & Rasam
- Rice & Sambar
- Lemon Rice
- Coconut Rice
New to Indian Cooking?
If you are a beginner or someone who is not sure on how to get started in Indian Cooking, please click on the below links for STEP By STEP GUIDE.
1. Essential Indian Cooking Tools – A Complete Guide for setting up basic Indian Equipment for cooking.
2. Essential Indian Spices – A Comprehensive Guide explaining the basics of Indian Spices which are Important for cooking Indian Foods.
3. How to Cook Rice Perfectly – Learn to Cook Indian Rice using 2 methods – Pot and Pressure Cooker
4. 6 Essential Indian Flours – Essential Guide to learn about the most commonly used Indian Flours.
How to Make Cabbage Egg Podimas – Step by Step Procedure
Step 1: Cutting Vegetables
- Finely chop the cabbage, onions, green chillies etc.
- You may chop the cabbage finely or simply shred them lengthwise.
- Green chillies are completely optional since you will be adding red chilly powder for the spice.
- It’s advisable to avoid green chillies if you are planning to give it to your kids.
Step 2: Sauteing
- In a kadai – add oil (preferably sunflower oil or groundnut oil).
- Once the oil heats up – add mustard and urad dal.
- Allow it to crackle.
- Add the finely chopped onions, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Saute 2-3 minutes in medium flame until onions turn golden brown.
Step 3: Spices
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and the required salt.
- Combine well.
Step 3: Vegetables
- Add the chopped cabbage and saute in medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Pour very little water to cook the cabbage.
- Cook until the water evaporates.
Step 5: Adding the Eggs
- Push the cabbage to the sides and make a hole in between.
- Break open an egg and stir from the middle.
- Slowly and gradually mix it with the cabbage and stir well.
- Cook until the cabbage and eggs are combined well and cooked dry.
Recipe Card: How to Make Cabbage Egg Podimas/Muttaikose Muttai Poriyal
- 1 cup Cabbage - finely chopped
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Curry leaves
- 1 Onion (small size) - finely chopped
- 1 green chilly - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- 1 Egg
- In a kadai - add oil, mustard and urad dal.
- Allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, curry leaves and saute well until onions turn golden.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and mix well.
- Add the chopped cabbage, combine well and pour little water to cook the cabbage.
- Once the water evaporates, break open an egg in the middle of the kadai.
- Stir well and make sure to combine it well with the cabbage and spices.
- Cook in medium flame until the eggs are done.
- Make sure it is cooked dry.
- Serve hot.
- Masala Egg Recipe
- Puliyogare Recipe
- Vendakkai Kara Kulambu
- Poondu Kulambu / Garlic Curry
- Mutton Kulambu / Mutton Curry
- Omapodi Recipe | Plain Sev | (Quick) Diwali Snacks
- (Instant) Turmeric Milk Recipe with Pepper to Boost Your Immunity
- Thaen Mittai | Honey Candy in 5mins(Using Idly Batter)
- Tomato Salna Recipe (How to Get the Original Roadside Parotta Salna Taste)
- How to Make Pure Coconut Oil at Home for 100% Healthy Cooking (can also be used for Hair, Skin !)