(Note: Boiled Egg Fry Podimas Recipe is a variation of the original Egg Podimas Recipe)
What is Boiled Egg Fry Podimas Recipe?
Boiled egg fry podimas is very similar to the regular egg podimas recipe, except that here in this recipe we boil the eggs and saute with a few powdered spices and onions.
This one is a quick and simple egg fry recipe.
Adding finely chopped onions to this recipe gives it a crunchy feel. This Boiled Egg Fry Podimas can be prepared within 20 minutes including the time taken to boil the eggs.
You may also add some chopped coriander leaves at the end. Adding coriander leaves makes the dish more tasty and aromatic.
Sometimes, I just use a little extra pepper powder instead of chilly powder.
When it comes to chopping or cutting boiled eggs for preparing this podimas recipe, I try to give as much as different cuts as possible.
How to Make Different Cuts on Boiled Eggs for making this Podimas recipe:
- 3-4 Slits/Cuts on the sides.
- An ‘x’ or ‘+’ on the top.
- Cut the eggs into two halves.
- Cut the eggs into four halves
Video Recipe: Muttai Podimas / Muttai Poriyal Varieties
There are other variations of the Egg Podimas like:
To learn about these variations, click on the 7 Quick Egg Podimas Recipes.
Meal Combinations for Podimas
- Rice & Rasam
- Rice & Sambar
New to Indian Cooking?
If you are a beginner or someone who is not sure on how to get started in Indian Cooking, please click on the below links for STEP By STEP GUIDE.
1. Essential Indian Cooking Tools – A Complete Guide for setting up basic Indian Equipment for cooking.
2. Essential Indian Spices – A Comprehensive Guide explaining the basics of Indian Spices which are Important for cooking Indian Foods.
3. How to Cook Rice Perfectly – Learn to Cook Indian Rice using 2 methods – Pot and Pressure Cooker
4. 6 Essential Indian Flours – Essential Guide to learn about the most commonly used Indian Flours.
How to Make Boiled Egg Fry Podimas – Step by Step Procedure
Step 1: Boiling the Eggs
- In a deep pot – drop the eggs into the water until the eggs are completely soaked.
- Boil the eggs for 20 minutes in medium flame.
- Once the eggs are boiled, peel off the shell and keep aside.
Step 2: Sauteing
- In a kadai/pan – add oil (preferably sunflower or groundnut oil or any other of your choice).
- Once the oil heats up – add the spices like mustard and urad dal.
- Saute until mustard pops and urad dal turns slightly golden.
- Now add the finely chopped onions and saute until they turn slightly golden.
Step 3: Adding Powdered Spices
- Add the required salt, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and few curry leaves.
- Saute in medium flame for 2 minutes.
Step 4: Cooking the Eggs
- Cut the boiled eggs according to your preference.
- Add it to the cooked spices.
- Saute until they are combined well in medium flame.
- Finally, sprinkle a little black pepper powder and give it a last mix.
- You can also add chopped coriander leaves at this stage if required.
- Serve hot as a side dish during breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can also have it as a snack during the evenings.
Recipe Card: How to Make Boiled Egg Fry Podimas/Muttai Poriyal
- 2nos eggs
- Water - to boil the eggs
- 1 onion (small size) - finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilly powder
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Boil the eggs in a pot of water for 20 minutes.
- Peel the shells and keep the eggs aside.
- In a kadai - add oil, mustard, urad dal and allow it to turn golden.
- Add the chopped onions, salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and curry leaves.
- Saute well until onions and spices are cooked well.
- Add the chopped/cut boiled eggs and combine well with the masala.
- Finally sprinkle some black pepper powder and coriander leaves if required.
- Serve hot.
- Masala Egg Recipe
- Puliyogare Recipe
- Vendakkai Kara Kulambu
- Poondu Kulambu / Garlic Curry
- Mutton Kulambu / Mutton Curry