(Note: Egg Podimas Tomato Recipe is a variation of the original Egg Podimas Recipe)
What is Egg Podimas Tomato Recipe?
Egg Podimas with Tomato is a simple recipe where tomatoes are added along with the usual Egg Podimas or muttai poriyal for a tangy taste.
If you need a tangy taste on top of the normal muttai poriyal /egg podimas, this is the one to try.
The tanginess of the tomato depends on what type of Tomato you use.
Usually, I prefer adding the hybrid or Bangalore Tomato variety rather than the country or naatu Tomato variety. The latter one adds more sourness/tanginess to the dish.
So choose the right Tomato according to your need.
This recipe can be prepared in less than 5 minutes.
There are other variations of the Egg Podimas like:
Click on the 7 Quick Egg Podimas Recipes to learn about the different varieties of Egg Podimas.
Video Recipe: Muttai Podimas / Muttai Poriyal Varieties
Meal Combinations for Egg Tomato Podimas/Poriyal
- Stuffed egg tomato podimas paratha
- Rice & Rasam
- Rice & Sambar
New to Indian Cooking?
If you are a beginner or someone who is not sure on how to get started in Indian Cooking, please click on the below links for STEP By STEP GUIDE.
1. Essential Indian Cooking Tools – A Complete Guide for setting up basic Indian Equipment for cooking.
2. Essential Indian Spices – A Comprehensive Guide explaining the basics of Indian Spices which are Important for cooking Indian Foods.
3. How to Cook Rice Perfectly – Learn to Cook Indian Rice using 2 methods – Pot and Pressure Cooker
4. 6 Essential Indian Flours – Essential Guide to learn about most commonly used Indian Flours.
How to make Egg Podimas with Tomato – Step by Step Procedure
- In a kadai/pan – add oil (preferably sunflower or groundnut oil or any other of your choice).
- Once the oil heats up, add the spices like mustard, urad dal and finely chopped or slit green chillies.
- Saute until mustard pops and urad dal turns slightly golden.
- Now, add the chopped onions. You may either use big onions or shallots too. Shallots add in more taste and are considered much healthier compared to regular onions.
- Add in the required salt and few curry leaves as well.
- Saute until the onions turn slightly golden. Saute in medium flame.
- Once the onions are cooked, add in the finely chopped tomatoes.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn soft & mushy.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy, break the eggs and stir continuously until the eggs are cooked well.
- As the eggs start to thicken, keep stirring.
- Cook until no moisture is left out.
- Sprinkle a little black pepper powder and combine well.
- Serve hot as a side dish during breakfast, lunch or dinner. You can also have it as a snack during the evenings.
Recipe Card: How to Make Egg Podimas/Muttai Poriyal
- 2nos eggs
- 1 onion (small size) - finely chopped
- 1 tomato - finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies- finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Few curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- Add oil in a Kadai/pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard, urad dal, green chillies.
- Saute 2 mins.
- Add chopped onions, salt and curry leaves.
- Saute until onions turn golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns soft.
- Break 2 eggs and combine well with the onion and tomato.
- Cook until the eggs are done.
- Sprinkle little pepper powder and combine well.
- Serve hot.
- Masala Egg Recipe
- Puliyogare Recipe
- Vendakkai Kara Kulambu
- Poondu Kulambu / Garlic Curry
- Mutton Kulambu / Mutton Curry
- (QUICK) Murungai Keerai Egg Poriyal | How to Make Drumstick Leaves Egg Stir-Fry at Home?
- (CRUNCHY) Murungai Keerai Vadai | Drumstick Leaves Vada at home!
- 2 (Quick) Murungai Keerai Poriyal / Drumstick Leaves Stir-Fry using Toor Dal & Ground Nut
- (Street Food Style) Egg Kothu Parotta/Paratha at Home! | Muttai Kothu Parotta Recipe
- Beans Egg Podimas/Poriyal | (Healthy & Different) Side Dish for Chapati !