Gobi 65 | Cauliflower 65 recipe in Tamil | Step by step procedure to prepare Crispy Cauliflower 65 Recipe
Gobi 65 is a crispy snack, popular for it’s most crunchy, tasty & delectable evening snack.
Also known as Cauliflower 65, it is everyone’s favorite, esp kids. The crunchiness and texture makes it very popular.
I prefer serving it as a starter. It also tastes amazing when eaten with fried rice, pulao, jeera rice, curd rice, sambar rice etc.
How to cut gobi/cauliflower perfectly?
- Firstly, remove all the leaves and the thick stem at the bottom of cauliflower.
- Make sure there are no worms, if so remove it and cut off a small portion at that spot.
- Cut into small bite-able pieces or chunks as shown in the image.
- Don’t cut it too small, as they will shrink in size when we blanch (par boil) and fry later.
- If you find any black or brown color patches on the florets, make sure to remove them.
- Remove(discard) the stem and the leaves.
- Use only the stem attached to the florets
What is blanching?
Blanching is a procedure or step, where the vegetables are partially cooked in boiling water. It is later put into iced water or cold running water to stop the cooking process.
Blanching helps in retaining the color and reduce the quality loss over time.
How to blanch Gobi/Cauliflower florets?
- Boil some water in a pot.
- Add the cauliflower florets into it.
- To this, add little salt and turmeric powder.
- Adding salt and turmeric, helps in killing the germs and removes the dirt off.
- Leave it in the hot water for about 2-3 minutes. Turn off the flame.
- Drain the water & run it under cold water to stop the cooking process.
How to make Gobi 65 / Cauliflower 65 recipe?
Gobi 65 is prepared with a slightly thick batter made of corn flour, maida, rice flour, red chilli powder, curry leaves, garam masala, salt to taste.
The cauliflower florets are blanched to remove the dirt & germs from cauliflower. I then coat it with the prepared batter & fry in oil until golden brown.
I use maida for binding, you may completely skip it. To avoid using red food color, we may use kashmiri red chilly powder which adds natural color to the dish. I prefer using corn flour to give it a crispy texture.
Gobi 65 (Cauliflower 65) tastes amazing when eaten piping hot. Make sure to serve it with some tomato ketchup or mint chutney. The crunchy texture of cauliflower makes this dish an irresistible snack.
Video Recipe: How to prepare Gobi 65
Tips & Tricks
- Blanching is very important to reduce the frying time
- Using turmeric and salt while blanching, helps kill germs and remove dirt
- I prefer using corn flour for crispiness, instead of rice flour
- When I have a doubt whether the cauliflower is cooked or not – I just cook until the bubbles reduce
- Serve it hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney!
- For blanching cauliflower/gobi
- 2 cups Water ( Thanni ) - (allow the cauliflower to completely immerse in water)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder ( Manja Thool ) - (Kills the germs)
- 1/2 tsp Salt ( Uppu ) - (Kills the germs)
- 20-25 Cauliflower Florets/pieces - (cut into small pieces)
- For batter & frying
- 2 tbsp Maida - (for binding)
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour (arisi maavu) - (for extra crispiness)
- 4 tbsp Corn Flour (sola maavu) - (for crispiness & texture)
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala - (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder ( Milagai Thool ) - (use kashmiri red chilly powder for natural food color)
- 1/2 tsp Salt ( Uppu )
- curry leaves ( karuvepilai ) - (chopped)
- Cooking Oil (Ennai) - to deep fry
- Water ( Thanni ) - (for making a medium thick batter)
For blanching cauliflower/gobi
- Pour some water in a pot/pan. Add salt and allow the water to heat up. Need not bring it to a boil.
- Once the water heats up well, turn off the flame.
- Now add the cauliflower/gobi florets(pieces). Add turmeric powder and give it a mix.
- Leave it as it is for 2-3 minutes. Drain the water using a filter/strainer.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, let's prepare the batter.
For batter & frying
- To prepare the batter- Add all the above mentioned masala ingredients to a bowl. Give it a mix.
- Add water in small batches to make it a slightly thick batter. so that it coats well over the cauliflower. Check for consistency. If it gets a bit watery, you may add a little corn flour/rice flour.
- Now, its time to add the cauliflower florets to the batter. Gently mix it so that the batter is coated well all over.
- Drop it into hot oil and fry. Fry in small batches. Do NOT clutter. If you add too many, it will not turn crispy.
- Flip occasionally and fry until golden brown.
- Bubbles start to reduce. This is the exact time to remove it.
- Drain the excess oil and transfer it to a tissue paper.
- Crispy, tasty, south indian style simple cauliflower 65 is ready to be served! It goes well with all kinds of main courses. It is usually served as a starter.
Other Veg Recipes:
1. Paneer Butter Masala Restaurant Style
2. Aloo Matar Curry (Potato Peas Kurma)
3. Kulambu Podi (Homemade Indian Curry/Masala Powder)
For more such interesting video recipes, check out my Three Whistles Kitchen YouTube Channel.
- Omapodi Recipe | Plain Sev | (Quick) Diwali Snacks
- (Instant) Turmeric Milk Recipe with Pepper to Boost Your Immunity
- Thaen Mittai | Honey Candy in 5mins(Using Idly Batter)
- Tomato Salna Recipe (How to Get the Original Roadside Parotta Salna Taste)
- How to Make Pure Coconut Oil at Home for 100% Healthy Cooking (can also be used for Hair, Skin !)