(Note: Murungai Keerai Egg Poriyal is a variation of the original Egg Podimas Recipe)
For those of you looking for a way to make your kids eat spinach/keerai, here’s an interesting, tasty and healthy recipe just for you.
What is Murungai Keerai Egg Poriyal/Drumstick Leaves Egg Stir-Fry?
Murungai keerai egg poriyal/Drumstick Leaves Egg Stir-Fry is a South Indian side dish recipe made using murungai keerai poriyal (prepared with or without coconut and dal) and is finally mixed with scrambled eggs.
Always make sure to use freshly bought/plucked Murungai keerai/Drumstick leaves before preparing any dish using these leaves. Fresh leaves taste better.
Most of us have an aversion towards drumstick leaves due to its slightly bitter taste. If you are one amongst them, then this recipe is a MUST TRY for you all!
This is an easy recipe and happens to go well with sambar, vendakkai kara kulambu, poondu kulambu, puli kulambu, vendhaya kulambu etc.
This Drumstick leaves recipe is prepared without using coconut.
Muringayila Mutta Thoran / Drumstick Leaves Egg Thoran
Muringayila Mutta Thoran is a Kerala style dish which involves cooking drumstick leaves poriyal first, then pouring raw egg on top of it and mixed well with grated coconut.
Benefits of Drumstick Leaves
- Highly rich in Iron, Vitamin A, C, K, manganese and proteins.
- Highly nutritious and has great medicinal value.
- Helps increases blood in the body during pregnancy.
- Improves eyesight.
- Reduces Blood Pressure and sugar level in diabetics.
New to Indian Cooking?
If you are a beginner or someone who is not sure on how to get started in Indian Cooking, please click on the below links for STEP By STEP GUIDE.
1. Essential Indian Cooking Tools – A Complete Guide for setting up basic Indian Equipment for cooking.
2. Essential Indian Spices – A Comprehensive Guide explaining the basics of Indian Spices which are Important for cooking Indian Foods.
3. How to Cook Rice Perfectly – Learn to Cook Indian Rice using 2 methods – Pot and Pressure Cooker
4. 6 Essential Indian Flours – Essential Guide to learn about most commonly used Indian Flours.
Video Recipe: How to Make Drumstick Leaves Egg Stir-Fry
There are other variations of the Egg Podimas like:
- Tomato Egg Podimas
- Boiled Egg Fry Podimas
- Carrot Egg Podimas
- Cabbage Egg Podimas
- Beans Egg Podimas
- Capsicum Egg Podimas
Click on the 8 Quick Egg Podimas Recipes to learn about the different varieties of Egg Podimas.
Meal Combinations for Drumstick Leaves Egg Poriyal/Podimas
- Rice & Rasam
- Rice & Sambar
- Lemon Rice
- Coconut Rice
- Vendakkai kara kulambu
- Poondu kulambu
- Puli kulambu
- Vendhaya kulambu etc.
Step-by-Step Procedure to Prepare Murungai Keerai Poriyal at Home
Step 1: Cleaning the Drumstick Leaves
- Drumstick tree leaves or murungai keerai leaves are small and slender.
- They can be easily removed from the stalk similar to curry leaves.
- Remove/separate the leaves, wash it and drain out the water.
- DO NOT directly wash the leaves under the tap before separating from the stalk.
- Wash and keep aside.
Step 2: Sauteing
- In a pressure cooker – add oil, mustard, cumin seeds, red chilly, finely chopped onions and salt.
- Saute until onions turn golden brown.
- Cook in medium flame.
Step 3: Adding Toor Dal and Drumstick Leaves
- Wash/Rinse the toor dal 2-3 times with water, drain the water and finally add it to the sauteed onions.
- Now, add the washed/rinsed drumstick leaves/murungai keerai/nugge soppu/sahjan into the cooker.
- Combine well and cook in medium flame.
Step 4: Adding Spices & Pressure Cooking
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder. Combine well.
- Sprinkle or add 50-100ml water.
- Cover & cook for 1 whistle in medium flame or until the dal and spinach gets cooked well.
- Once pressure releases, open the lid and cook in medium flame only if any water is left out.
- Cook until water evaporates.
- Turn off the flame and keep aside.
Step 5: Scrambled Eggs & Adding the Prepared Poriyal
- In a kadai – add oil (regular refined or cooking oil) and slightly heat it in low flame.
- Now, break open 1 or 2 eggs.
- Add in the required salt and sprinkle some black pepper powder.
- Give it a stir until the eggs are cooked well.
- Now, add the cooked murungai keerai poriyal to the scrambled eggs.
- Combine it well.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot.
Tips & Tricks
- Use freshly plucked drumstick leaves/murungai keerai.
- Dried leaves will be wrinkled and less taste.
- Do NOT add salt while pressure cooking murungai keerai as it will increase the bitter taste.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder while pressure cooking or sauteing drumstick leaves as it will help retain the green colour.
Recipe Card: How to Make Murungai Keerai Muttai Poriyal/Moringa Leaves Egg Stir Fry
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 red chilly
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp toor dal(split yellow pigeon peas) - washed
- 1 cup murungai Keerai (Drumstick Leaves) - washed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 50-100ml Water - sprinkle
- In a pressure cooker - add oil, mustard, cumin, red chillies, onions and salt.
- Saute until onions turn golden brown.
- Add the washed toor dal and murungai keerai.
- Combine well.
- Add turmeric powder and sprinkle some water. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 1 whistle on medium flame.
- Open and Cook until water evaporates.
- Turn off flame.
- In a kadai - add oil, break eggs.
- Add salt and pepper powder.
- Stir well until combined.
- Cook until the eggs are non-sticky in low flame.
- Add the cooked murungai keerai poriyal.
- Mix well until combined.
- Serve hot.
- Empty Salna or Plain Salna
- Commonly Used Indian Flours
- Commonly Used Indian Spices
- Mutton Kulambu or Mutton Curry
- Madurai Famous Jigarthanda Shop
- (QUICK) Murungai Keerai Egg Poriyal | How to Make Drumstick Leaves Egg Stir-Fry at Home?
- (CRUNCHY) Murungai Keerai Vadai | Drumstick Leaves Vada at home!
- 2 (Quick) Murungai Keerai Poriyal / Drumstick Leaves Stir-Fry using Toor Dal & Ground Nut
- (Street Food Style) Egg Kothu Parotta/Paratha at Home! | Muttai Kothu Parotta Recipe
- Beans Egg Podimas/Poriyal | (Healthy & Different) Side Dish for Chapati !