Pure coconut oil at home!
If you’re tired of chemicals or preservatives mixed with the coconut oil at stores…
If you want 100% Healthy, Fresh and Pure coconut oil for your family…
If you want to use coconut oil for cooking, for healthy skin and hair…
You’re in the right place!
Today I will show you how to prepare virgin coconut oil at the comfort of your home.
I will also show you the differences between the various types of coconut oil available in the market.
Let’s get started.
- What is Coconut and/or Copra?
- What is the difference between Coconut and Copra?
- What is Coconut Oil?
- Video Recipe: How to Make Coconut Oil at Home?
- What is Coconut Oil Good for?
- Different Labels of Coconut Oil at Stores
- Industry Extraction Processes (as opposed to Homemade)
- Step-by-Step Procedure to Prepare Coconut Oil
- Recipe Card: How to Prepare Coconut Oil from Coconut Milk
What is Coconut and/or Copra?
A Coconut is a dry, mature nut found on coconut trees. They say it to be a fruit.
The coconut comprises 3 portions – the outer hard shell, the inner kernel and the core water.
Copra is a form of dried coconut. The coconut is sun dried for a few weeks until the inner kernel separates from the outer shell. It is then used to extract coconut oil.
The outer hard shell – is brown and contains the fibre called coir. The outer shell can be used to produce fire, make handicrafts, etc.
The inner kernel – is soft and white. It is sweet in taste and used for culinary purposes. Coconut kernel is usually used to prepare coconut chutney, tomato chutney, onion chutney, peanut chutney, radish chutney, etc. Also, it is used for preparing curry/gravy/kurma varieties.
The coconut kernel is ground to a paste and then milk is extracted from it to prepare coconut milk.
In India, the Southern states comprising Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh collectively produce about 90% of the nation’s harvest.
What is the difference between Coconut and Copra?
|It is a fruit from the coconut tree.||It is the dried kernel or flesh of the coconut.|
|Coconut oil is extracted from the coconut milk which is obtained from the fresh white kernels.||Coconut oil is extracted directly from the dried kernels.|
|We can only extract a limited quantity of coconut oil from coconut.||Comparatively, we can extract more quantity of coconut oil from copra.|
|High quality oil is extracted from fresh coconuts.||Comparatively lower quality oil is extracted from copra.|
What is Coconut Oil?
Coconut oil is an edible oil which is extracted from the kernels or flesh of the mature coconuts harvested from the coconut tree. It has a wide range of health benefits along with its use for culinary purposes.
Video Recipe: How to Make Coconut Oil at Home?
Coconut in other languages:
Dry Coconut in other languages:
What is Coconut Oil Good for?
Coconut Oil is an excellent source of quick energy for your body, which is provided by the various saturated fats present in it.
They also possess anti-oxidant properties, which help to reduce your stress and depression to an extent.
Benefits of Coconut Oil
- Highly rich in saturated fats.
- Helps in burning fat leading to weight loss.
- Increases HDL levels (good cholesterol) and reduces triglycerides.
- Helps reduce heart diseases.
- Helps reduce high blood pressure.
- Protects from liver damage and aids in curing urinary tract infection.
- Aids with digestion.
- Protects from stomach inflammation and ulcers.
- Acts as a salve for wounds and burns.
- Rich in anti-oxidants & acts as an anti-aging component.
- Moisturizes your skin and gives it a glowing effect.
- Gives your skin a soothing feel.
- Reduces skin dryness and gives it an even tone.
- Prevents hair from greying.
- Prevents frizzy hair and also helps detangle hair easily.
- Encourages long growth of hair and also gives it a shiny look.
- It can be used as a natural lip balm to avoid dry/cracked lips.
Uses of Coconut Oil
For those of you who want to lose weight, including coconut oil in your diet could be a wonderful choice. Research says if taken in limited quantities it helps to burn fat leading to weight loss.
Is coconut oil good for your skin?
Yes, coconut oil helps in nurturing your skin, keeping it moisturised.
They also possess anti- inflammatory properties which help to heal wounds and protect your skin from harmful bacteria.
Is coconut oil good for your hair?
Yes, coconut oil has various benefits for your hair such as it:
- enriches your hair roots and prevents your hair from breakage.
- hinders the process of formation of dandruff.
- delays the greying of hair.
- adds shine and lustre to your hair.
Different Labels of Coconut Oil at Stores
Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil also refers to Pure coconut oil. It is usually prepared by grinding the fresh, mature coconut kernels and extracting coconut milk from them. The coconut milk is fermented, and the cream is separated. Finally, it is cooked in heat to remove the coconut oil.
Virgin coconut oil is unrefined with NO added colors or chemicals.
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
As far as I have known, there is no difference between virgin coconut oil and extra virgin coconut oil.
It is all the same.
The name “Extra Virgin” is just to attract customers.
Whereas, in case of Olive oil, there is definitely an Extra Virgin version available.
Refined Vs. Unrefined Coconut Oil
|Refined Coconut Oil||Un-Refined Coconut Oil|
|Oil is filtered or refined to remove impurities.||Oil is not refined or filtered.|
|It is unhealthy.||Healthy for use.|
|Oil is refined, bleached and deodorized.||Oil is unrefined, No bleaching or deodorizing.|
|Produced in more quantity.||Produced in less quantity.|
|Less nutritious.||Highly nutritious.|
|Heavy processing.||Comparatively less processing.|
|Extracted from old and dried coconuts called copra.||Extracted from freshly picked coconuts and processed within a couple of days.|
|It is white when solid and clear like water when liquid after using additives.||It is naturally pale yellow or flawlessly white in color when solid and clear when liquid.|
Organic Vs. Conventional Coconut Oil
Organic coconut oil is produced using organically grown coconuts.
These organically grown coconuts are grown without using any chemicals or pesticides. Also, the fertilizers used are NOT harmful.
It is always best to go for organically grown coconuts due to the fertilizers used during farming and post-harvesting processes.
Conventional coconut oil is produced using non-organic coconut oil.
Industry Extraction Processes (as opposed to Homemade)
Cold-Pressed Coconut Oil
Cold-pressing is an extraction method used to extract oil from the coconuts. This method does not involve heat.
Cold pressed coconut oil is said to be raw and extracts the highest quality oil (retains more nutrients).
Cold-pressing method extracts less oil compared to all other methods and is very expensive.
Centrifugal Pressed Coconut Oil
Centrifugal pressed is a method used to prepare virgin coconut oil. In this method, the coconut is shelled, crushed and ground into a slurry. The coconut milk is then extracted and poured into a centrifugal machine for oil extraction.
Centrifugally pressed coconut oil has more stability, natural coconut flavour and taste.
Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
Expeller pressed is a method used to extract oil from coconuts using high pressure and heat. This method is chosen to produce refined coconut oil. Expeller pressed is considered as a Not-So-Good method for producing coconut oil as the oil looses almost all its nutritional properties.
At home, we use Wet Process for coconut (nariyal, thengai) oil preparation.
Let’s know the difference between Wet and Dry processes.
Coconut Oil can be Extracted Using 2 Different Processes:
The kernel is removed from the coconut shell.
It is later sun dried, dried using fire or using kilns to create Copra.
Then, the Copra thus obtained is then compressed to extract the coconut oil which leaves behind a high fibrous mash which can feed ruminants.
In this process, coconut milk is extracted from the raw coconuts instead of copra.
The coconut milk is then kept overnight or more, in order to separate the oil or cream and the water.
The creamy thick oil layer is then scooped and boiled until the discolored oil is separated from it.
Note: Wet process yields a lesser quantity of oil than that through the dry process. Hence, dry process is much preferred.
Step-by-Step Procedure to Prepare Coconut Oil
Step 1: Breaking the Coconut
- With the iron coconut breaker, hit on the coir/fibre at one end.
- Pull it off from all over the coconut.
- Hold the coconut having the 3 dots facing your palm.
- Hit on the middle with the coconut breaker.
- Continue doing the previous step by rotating the coconut until the coconut cracks on all sides.
- Insert the flat sharp end into the cracked part and break open the coconut.
- (Collect the coconut water in a bowl. You may drink it if needed).
Step 2: Extracting Coconut Milk from Coconut
- Boil half litre water in a pot and keep aside.
- Remove the soft white kernels from the coconut.
- Cut them into small pieces.
- Add the kernel pieces into a blender/mixer (in batches).
- Pour a little hot water. Blend to a fine paste.
- Transfer the contents to a strainer and press gently to extract milk from it.
- Repeat the process with the next batch.
- Transfer all the leftover fibre content back into the blender, add hot water and blend again.
- Transfer to a strainer and press gently with your hand to extract more milk.
Step 3: Separation of Cream and Water Layer
Method 1 – Using Container
- Pour all the extracted coconut milk into a container.
- Cover it and refrigerate overnight or until the cream and water form separate layers.
- Scoop off the cream on top and pour it into a pan.
Method 2 – Using Plastic Cover
- Pour the coconut milk into the plastic cover and safe it with a rubber band.
- Refrigerate overnight or until the cream and water form separate layers.
- Once the layers are formed, make a small cut at the bottom of the plastic cover/bag.
- Drain out the water at the bottom.
- Collect the cream in a separate bowl/pan.
Step 4: Preparation of Coconut Oil
- Pour all the cream into a pan or kadai.
- Turn on the stove and keep stirring in high flame.
- Once it starts boiling, turn to medium flame.
- Be very careful as it might splutter.
- Starts to thicken.
- Continue stirring until the colour changes to brown.
- Once the color changes to brown and oil separates, turn off the stove and filter the oil using a strainer or cloth.
Recipe Card: How to Prepare Coconut Oil from Coconut Milk
- 1 big Coconut
- Break the coconut.
- Remove the kernels and grind them to fine paste in a blender.
- Add hot water in batches whenever necessary.
- Squeeze the coconut paste to extract coconut milk from it.
- Refrigerate overnight or until the water and cream separates.
- Scoop the cream into a pan or kadai.
- Boil the cream on high flame until it boils.
- Stir occasionally.
- Once it thickens, turn to medium flame.
- Moisture content starts reducing.
- Color changes to brown.
- Oil separates.
- Filter the oil using a strainer or muslin cloth.
- Omapodi Recipe | Plain Sev | (Quick) Diwali SnacksHow to make CRISPY Sev or Omapodi? How to STORE Omapodi/Sev the RIGHT way, so it stays crispy till you finish the jar? Let’s get started! What is Omapodi/Plain Sev? Omapodi or plain sev is a tasty & crunchy savoury dish prepared using gram flour (also known as besan in Hindi) as the base ingredient….
- (Instant) Turmeric Milk Recipe with Pepper to Boost Your ImmunityToday I will show you how to prepare simple turmeric milk quickly (within 5 minutes). Turmeric milk or Haldi ka doodh can boost your immunity against cold, cough and sore throat. Let’s get started! What is Turmeric Milk or Manjal Paal? Turmeric milk is an Indian Drink or Beverage, is mainly prepared using Turmeric powder…
- Thaen Mittai | Honey Candy in 5mins(Using Idly Batter)Thaen mittai is a bright orange, soft, sweet candy prepared using unfermented idly batter (soaked and ground urad dal and idly rice), oil to fry and sugar syrup.
- Tomato Salna Recipe (How to Get the Original Roadside Parotta Salna Taste)Are you craving for some roadside food? Are you looking for that exact recipe on how to prepare roadside salna at home? Are you so tempted to prepare salna but have no vegetables at home except onions and tomatoes? Here you go, read further to know how to prepare this tomato salna or the roadside…
- How to Make Pure Coconut Oil at Home for 100% Healthy Cooking (can also be used for Hair, Skin !)Pure coconut oil at home! If you’re tired of chemicals or preservatives mixed with the coconut oil at stores… If you want 100% Healthy, Fresh and Pure coconut oil for your family… If you want to use coconut oil for cooking, for healthy skin and hair… You’re in the right place! Today I will show…