(Note: Carrot Egg Podimas Recipe is a variation of the original Egg Podimas Recipe)
If you are bored with the usual carrot poriyal or egg podimas, combining both of them – the Carrot Egg Podimas/Poriyal – will give you a fresh taste!
And also QUICK to cook….!
Without wasting any further time, let’s get started!
What is Carrot Egg Podimas?
Carrot Egg Podimas (or carrot muttai poriyal) is simply, carrot stir fry/poriyal cooked along with scrambled eggs and some spices.
You can prepare this dish for your kids – in order to add vegetables and eggs in their diet.
Grated carrots add a nice texture to this recipe and also fastens cooking process.
In the below video, totally 7 varieties of egg podimas are covered – in which one of them is the Carrot Egg Poriyal.
Video Recipe: Muttai Podimas / Muttai Poriyal Varieties
There are other variations of the Egg Podimas like:
- Tomato Egg Podimas
- Boiled Egg Fry Podimas
- Capsicum Egg Podimas
- Cabbage Egg Podimas
- Beans Egg Podimas, etc
Click on the 7 Quick Egg Podimas Recipes to learn about the different varieties of Egg Podimas.
Meal Combinations for Egg Podimas / Muttai Poriyal
- Rice & Rasam
- Rice & Sambar
- Lemon Rice
- Coconut Rice
New to Indian Cooking?
If you are a beginner or someone who is not sure on how to get started in Indian Cooking, please click on the below links for STEP By STEP GUIDE.
1. Essential Indian Cooking Tools – A Complete Guide for setting up basic Indian Equipment for cooking.
2. Essential Indian Spices – A Comprehensive Guide explaining the basics of Indian Spices which are Important for cooking Indian Foods.
3. How to Cook Rice Perfectly – Learn to Cook Indian Rice using 2 methods – Pot and Pressure Cooker
4. 6 Essential Indian Flours – Essential Guide to learn about the most commonly used Indian Flours.
How to Make Carrot Egg Podimas/Muttai Poriyal – Step by Step Procedure
Step 1: Cutting Vegetables
- Peel-Wash-Grate the carrots.
- Chop the onions finely.
- You may also chop the carrots finely instead of grating them (if required).
- Green chillies need to be slit lengthwise.
- It’s advisable to avoid green chillies if you are planning to give it to your kids.
Step 2: Sauteing
- In a kadai – add oil (preferably sunflower oil or groundnut oil).
- Once the oil heats up – add mustard, cumin seeds, urad dal and green chillies.
- Allow it to crackle.
- Add the finely chopped onions, salt and curry leaves.
- Saute 2-3 minutes in medium flame until onions turn golden brown.
Step 3: Vegetables & Spices
- Add the grated carrots.
- Add little turmeric powder and water.
- Do NOT add too much water, as the carrots will lose its taste and nutrients.
- Combine well and cook until water evaporates in medium flame.
Step 4: Adding the Eggs
- Push the carrots to the sides and make a hole in between.
- Break open an egg and stir from the middle.
- Gradually combine the eggs with the carrot.
- Cook until the carrot and eggs are combined well and cooked dry.
- Cook on medium flame.
Recipe Card: How to Make Carrot Egg Podimas/Carrot Muttai Poriyal
- 1 cup Carrot - Grated
- 2 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- 1 Onion (small size) - finely chopped
- 1 green chilly - slit
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Water
- Peel-Wash-Grate the carrot. Keep aside.
- Finely chop onions and slit green chillies and keep aside.
- In a kadai - add oil, mustard, cumin seeds, urad dal and green chillies.
- Allow it to crackle.
- Add chopped onions, curry leaves, salt and saute well until onions turn golden.
- Add the grated carrot and combine well.
- Add turmeric powder, little water and mix well.
- Once the water evaporates, break open an egg in the middle of the kadai.
- Stir well and make sure to combine it well with the carrot and spices.
- Cook in medium flame until the eggs are done.
- Make sure it is cooked dry.
- Serve hot.
- Masala Egg Recipe
- Puliyogare Recipe
- Vendakkai Kara Kulambu
- Poondu Kulambu / Garlic Curry
- Mutton Kulambu / Mutton Curry