Ghee Rice Recipe | Nei Choru Recipe | Simplest way to prepare a lunchbox Recipe
Ghee Rice is a popular and flavourful South Indian rice recipe.
It is basically prepared with basmati or jeeraga samba rice (jeera rice) and pure desi ghee.
What is Ghee Rice/Nei choru?
Neichoru is how ghee rice is referred in tamilnadu and kerala. It is the most preferred dish in India due to it’s simplicity.
Perfectly cooked jeeraga samba rice with whole spices, green chilly, cashews and raisins in a pressure cooker. This dish is so aromatic and flavourful and can be eaten with any curry or gravy.
I have shared one of my favourite recipe jeera rice before. This is yet another simple and quick dish that doesn’t require much preparation time.
Video Recipe: How to make the perfect Ghee Rice
One of the simplest yet tasty Indian food, which can be a quick fix lunch box recipe.
This recipe makes its way into the tiffin boxes of school children, college and office goers in India.
One more important point – ghee rice can be prepared with leftover rice too! Plus it is a good break from the monotonous white rice.
I have always loved to prepare this dish along with curry gravy recipes like mushroom gravy, paneer butter masala, potato peas curry, mutton kolambu, mutton chukka, gobi manchurian, chicken kurma, etc. The list of gravy is just never ending. Ghee rice simply goes well with any sort of gravy or curry.
It has always been my favourite one.
Which rice variety to use for preparing ghee rice?
In southern parts of India, jeeraga-samba rice is used for preparing variety rices. Especially, Briyani varieties taste awesome when prepared with seeragasamba rice.
I always prefer seeraga-samba rice over basmati rice, as it has more benefits.
Benefits of using jeeraga-samba rice
- Easy to digest
- Rich in nutrients and fibre
- Lowers cholesterol
- Rich in anti-oxidants
How to prepare ghee rice in pressure cooker?
Take a pressure cooker. I have used a 3 litre pressure cooker. This cooker has been very handy and useful for me. I actually use this pressure cooker for almost every dish I prepare using cooker.
In case you are new to cooking, I would definitely recommend you using this pressure cooker. It can be used for cooking rice and sambar or curries/gravies. You can cook rice for upto 3 people in this 3 litre cooker. Choose a 5 litre pressure cooker or more according to your need in case of more numbers. You may also try using clip on pressure cooker, which can be used as both kadai and cooker as well.
Add ghee and little oil if required. Allow it to heat up little in low flame. You may click here to how to make ghee at home easily.
Now add all the whole spices like bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, star anise. Give it a saute.
Add ginger and garlic, finely chopped. You may also add ginger garlic paste instead. But, I have always preferred adding finely chopped or grated ginger and garlic as it gives a very good fragrance and taste to the dish. Add slit green chillies according to your spice level. Saute well for 2 minutes.
Now add cashews and raisins. Chop cashews finely or medium. Raisins give the dish a slightly sweet taste. You may avoid it if you don’t like the sweet to be added. Saute 2 minutes on medium flame.
It’s time to add the chopped shallots or sliced onions. Shallots or small onions or chinna vengayam, enhance the flavour and taste of any dish than normal onions. Add salt to taste. Saute until onions turn golden brown. Medium flame is recommended.
Soak dry green peas in water for minimum of 6-8 hours or overnight. In case you are in a hurry to prepare the dish, you may soak the dry peas in hot boiling water for about 2 hours. Pressure cook it for 2 whistles on medium flame and then add it to this dish and continue the procedure from the above-mentioned step.
You may also use fresh green peas or frozen green peas if you wish to.
Pour the milk and water. Stir it once. Bring it to a boil. Add the soaked jeeraga-samba rice or basmati rice. Soak the rice for at least 15-20 minutes and not more than 45 minutes. Else the rice might break and become soggy.
Ratio of Rice To Liquid (water/milk/curd)
Ratio of Rice:Liquid = 1:2 ; in case you don't use green peas or any other vegetables, then Rice:Liquid = 1:1.5
Cover and pressure cook on high flame for 1 whistle. After the first whistle, Simmer the flame(low flame) and cook for 5-8 minutes. If you hear any whistle before that, just ignore. But don’t let for more than 3 whistles.
Allow the steam/pressure to release by itself. Open the lid once pressure settles completely. Let it cool for 5 minutes and then give it a mix with a spoon or fork so the rice doesn’t break.
Serve it hot with gravy or curry of your choice.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp oil - optional
- 2 bay leaf
- 1-inch cinnamon
- 2 star anise
- 2 cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 2 green chillies - slit/cut
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic - finely chopped or grated
- cashews - as required
- raisins - as required
- 1/4 cup shallots or onion - sliced
- 1.5 tsp salt - adjust to taste
- 1/2 cup dry/fresh green peas - soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1.5 cup water
- 1.5 cup jeeraga-samba or basmati rice
- Wash & Soak rice for 15-20 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker - add oil, ghee, whole spices and green chillies. Saute for 1 min on low flame.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic. Saute for2 mins.
- In goes the chopped cashews and riasins.
- Add the finely chopped shallots or sliced onions.
- Saute until golden brown.
- Add the soaked dry green peas and saute well.
- Pour in the milk and water according to the measurements mentioned.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Add the soaked rice, give it a mix.
- Cover & pressure cook for 1 whistle on high flame.
- After 1 whistle, simmer the flame and cook for 5-8 minutes. Turn off.
- Allow the steam to release by itself.
- Open & let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a spoon to gradually scrape the rice from the edges.
- Give it a gentle mix.
- Serve hot with any gravy of your choice.
Summer Dessert Recipes from Three Whistles Kitchen
1. Madurai Jigarthanda Recipe
2. Banana Smoothie Recipe
3. Cold Cofee Recipe
4. Eggless Vanilla Ice Cream
For more such interesting video recipes, check out my Three Whistles Kitchen YouTube Channel.
- Omapodi Recipe | Plain Sev | (Quick) Diwali Snacks
- (Instant) Turmeric Milk Recipe with Pepper to Boost Your Immunity
- Thaen Mittai | Honey Candy in 5mins(Using Idly Batter)
- Tomato Salna Recipe (How to Get the Original Roadside Parotta Salna Taste)
- How to Make Pure Coconut Oil at Home for 100% Healthy Cooking (can also be used for Hair, Skin !)